Buying vintage & second-hand clothing is a sustainable solution because garments already exist so you can save all the negative impact of production.
Fast fashion facts (yes, we are a slow fashion store):
- The industry is responsible for high carbon emissions, wastewater production, and large amounts of landfill waste. Fast fashion is second only to oil as the world’s largest polluter.
- The fast fashion industry is responsible for producing 20% of global wastewater.
- In 2015, the fast fashion industry used 80 billion cubic metres of freshwater.
- The fast fashion industry produces 97% of our clothes overseas.
The industry exploits cheap labour in developing countries. Here, workers rights are often non-existent and environmental standards are low.
- The fashion industry produced 92 million tons of waste in 2015 alone.
- With current technologies, it would take 12 years to recycle what the fast fashion industry creates in 48 hours
- Fast fashion is a huge contributor to plastic pollution.
Say no to fast fashion! buy vintage!